Authentic and rural discovery of Slovenia
15-Day Itinerary travel in Slovenia.
Self-drive tour with your children, from Ljubljana.
Ideal for lovers of nature and wide horizons, this gentle, 4-step itinerary takes you from one corner of the country to the other, and always in a green setting. Slovenia offers you an alliance between responsible tourism and culinary discovery of local products. Take advantage of this interlude, put aside your habits, time will be suspended and you will enjoy your children 200%. An optimized itinerary to recharge your batteries and enjoy your charming accommodation, with stops in the evening in typical farm inns or alpine chalets:
– Passage through Ljubljana, green and eco-friendly capital city.
– The Logarska Dolina valley and its green spaces, ideal for airing out.
– An immersion in a real farm to participate with your family in some daily activities accompanied by your hosts.
– The underworld and the surprising caves of the Karst region.
– The Adriatic coast for a relaxing day out.
– The Kobarid valley and its emerald green river.
– The breathtaking landscapes of the Triglav Massif and the lakes of Bled and Bohinj.
Length of stay: 15 days
Kind: Family Collection
Fix: For all public
Countries visited: SLOVENIA
- Day 1 : Ljubljana
- Day 2 : Ljubljana
- Day 3 : Logarska Dolina
- Day 4 : Logarska Dolina
- Day 5 : Cerkvenjak
- Day 6 : Crossing the regions of the Lower Carniola
- Day 7 : Predjama Castle
- Day 8 : Postojna
- Day 9 : Postojna
- Day 10 : Kobarid
- Day 11 : Bovec
- Day 12 : Kobarid
- Day 13 : Bled
- Day 14 : Bled
- Day 15 : Bled
Your customized trip
travelers reviews / 5
Day 1 : Ljubljana
Arrival at Ljubljana Airport and first contact with Slovenia. Collection of your vehicle inside the airport. Rental of intermediary I-Class MPV, type Skoda Octavia , including:
* Unlimited mileage
* Manual gearbox
* Two drivers
* Snow tires (if necessary)
* Basic third party insurance. On the spot the renter will be able to propose you additional insurances if necessary. Drive from the airport to the city of Ljubljana. Check-in at the hotel. City tour, without a guide, to discover the Slovenian capital at your own pace and on foot for 2 hours. A walk through the pedestrian city centre and along the Ljubljanica to visit this beautiful city’s most famous spots.
-> Is there something else you want to see? This city tour is tailor-made, we can adapt it:
* to your desires of discovery by opting for such and such a museum;
* to your wish of activity: on foot, by bike, by segway, gastronomic, medieval, wine tasting, treasure hunt, etc… Ljubljana has many facets and our city tours are very varied.
[To discover Ljubljana in video, click here. ](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V41D7lsEruI) 1-hour group sailing tour on the Ljubljanica River. Panoramic tour along the water on a wooden boat, the only one in Ljubljana. You’ll get a different view of the Slovenian capital and enjoy its gentle way of life even more with this gentle and surprisingly quiet mode of travel. The departure is on the banks of the river, a 2-minute walk from Preseren Square, recognizable by its imposing church with its pink facade. You will pass under many bridges spanning the river to wilder parts of the city, moving away from the centre. Be careful, you may be lucky enough to see otters. Then you will turn around to admire the imposing construction of the covered market halls along the Ljubljanica river to the famous Dragon Bridge, back to the starting point. Possibility to buy cold drinks on board.
-> We tested this activity for you: we enjoyed letting ourselves be carried away by the rhythm of the river and the anecdotes of the guide. Overnight in a modern and comfortable 3-star hotel, near the principal square of Ljubljana. Standard room.
Day 2 : Ljubljana
From the capital to the Slovenian mountain pastures. You leave the capital and head north to the Logarska Dolina region. Visit on the road to Kamnik and its beautiful medieval centre. Hiking through the valley of Kamniska Bistrica and its magnificent setting (chapel, alpine reliefs, crystalline springs) for lunch or a walk. Discover the Slovenian alpine landscapes before arriving at your hosts who will welcome you warmly. Settle into your private room in this family-run farmhouse inn. Overnight in a 3-star family farm in the heart of the mountains. Standard room.
Day 3 : Logarska Dolina
Free day, without a guide, to enjoy the surroundings according to your wishes. The park and the valleys of Upper Savinja and Matkov Kot offer an incredibly well-preserved natural playground. Opt for a stroll or a hike, unless you are tempted by an outdoor activity such as rafting, canyoning, horseback riding or a paragliding experience. Every traveller will be able to both recharge his batteries and feel the soul of an explorer in the middle of these beautiful glacial valleys. Overnight in a 3-star family farm in the heart of the mountains. Standard room.
Day 4 : Logarska Dolina
Along the Savinja and the Drave. The day offers you many possibilities according to your desires of city visits or nature walks:
– Exploration of the Upper Savinja Valley (Logarska Dolina and Matkov Kot)
– Discovery of Celje, its fabulous architecture with its red roofs and its huge castle
– Hiking or walking to Rogla or in the Pohorje Massif
– Visit of Maribor, the second largest city of the country, full of charm with its old town built along the Drava river. Check-in at the hotel. Overnight in a typical Slovenian farm. Standard room.
Day 5 : Cerkvenjak
Free day in the east of Slovenia, at your rhythm and according to your wishes:
– Activities on the farm with your children (tractor ride, archery) and the animals. Possibilities of walks and bike or e-bike rides in the surroundings and especially to the lakes where it is possible to swim.
– The Wine Route, between the hills of Haloze and Jeruzalem-Ljutomer. Slovenian wines are quite unknown and they will surprise you. First of all, the landscapes between gentle hills, vineyards, sunflowers and small perched villages make the route very pleasant, like a real walk.
– Visit the historical heart of Ptuj where every year, in February, during 10 days, the Kurentovanje, the biggest carnival of the country, takes place. You overlook the valley and discover the wonderful red tiled roofs of the city. Highlights of the visit: Medieval Centre, Monastery of the Friars Minor, Drava Tower and Ptuj Castle. Overnight in a typical Slovenian farm. Standard room.
Day 6 : Crossing the regions of the Lower Carniola
Crossing the regions of the Lower Carniola and White Carniola. The day’s drive gives you the opportunity to appreciate the hills watered by rivers and covered with forests. Characteristic hay driers, restored castles and small villages line your route. You will discover another facet of the country where slow travel makes sense, in addition to the various landmarks that will cross your path: the spa town of Rogaska Slatina, the castles of Podcetrtek and Otocec, the old town of Novo Mesto, the castle of Zuzemberk and the valley of the Krka River. Arrival to Postojna. Check-in at the hotel. Overnight in a beautiful 3-star renovated farm in a large village near Postojna. Standard room.
Day 7 : Predjama Castle
Stop on the road for a tour of the Postojna Cave. Until 1818, visitors could only see 300 metres of the Cave. Today, you can admire more than 5 kilometres of spectacular tunnels, passages and halls. One always wonders about the interest of visiting a cave on vacation, isn’t it? Don’t think about it, this cave is full of surprises, even if the place is quite touristy. After picking up the audio guide, the cave train will take you to discover an unimaginable underground world. Audio guides available in French. Visit of the unusual Predjama Castle. Open tour (entrance tickets not included). 9 km from the Postojna Cave, the castle, hanging high on a cliff, reigns over the surroundings. The most famous inhabitant of the castle was undoubtedly the knight Erasmus of Predjama, who rebelled against the emperor’s obstinacy in the 15th century. Today you can retrace the history of the castle and its former owners. The visit is very interesting, and above all it offers the possibility to enter a bewitching place. Overnight in a beautiful 3-star renovated farm in a large village near Postojna. Standard room.
Day 8 : Postojna
From the land of caves and bears to the colourful waters of the Adriatic. Heading south to Piran. On the way, visit Izola and Koper. A little jewel of the Adriatic, you will then appreciate the authenticity of Piran, its dynamic character and its heterogeneous population. Visit the city’s important squares, meeting places of the inhabitants, winding alleys, Venetian houses and the Minorite monastery. A great panoramic view opens at the top of the hill, where the church of St. George dominates the town. From this point you can see Slovenia, Croatia and Italy at the same time. Piran is definitely our favourite place in Slovenia! Back to Postojna. Overnight in a beautiful 3-star renovated farm in a large village near Postojna. Standard room.
Day 9 : Postojna
From the Karst to the Julian Alps through the wine valleys. Join the region bordering Italy and discover the Vipava Valley, the birthplace of Slovenian wine and then the Goriska Brda vineyard hills. Take the road back to Tolmin, famous for its paragliding sites and surrounding nature. Visit the gorges (1 hour walk) and Most na Soci, which offers a splendid panorama of the lake.
Arrival in Kobarid in the middle of the mountains just before Bovec, down by the Soca River. Check-in at the hotel. Overnight in a typical Slovenian farm. Standard room.
Day 10 : Kobarid
Exploring the surroundings of Kobarid. Take advantage of this incredible natural setting to walk at your own pace. Suggestions:
– Walk to Kozjak waterfall (30 min)
– Hike from Kobarid to Tolmin (include return transfer)
– Walk to Most Na Soci and its panorama of the Soca River
– Visit of the Kobarid museum dedicated to the battles of the Isonzo River
– Excursions and original activities with our local guide: gastronomy, aromatherapy, medicinal herbs, etc. Overnight in a typical Slovenian farm. Standard room.
Day 11 : Bovec
Rafting tour on the turquoise blue waters of the Soča. Discover the natural beauty of a pristine river in an incredibly exciting way. An adventure of almost three hours over 8 km of waves and rapids awaits you. Let yourself be seduced by the exceptional beauty of the crystalline waters of the Soča. Deep emerald pools home to the famous trout of Soča, huge steep rocks that testify to the power of natural forces, and in the distance, a breathtaking view of Triglav bathed in sunshine.
-> Difficulty: I – IV.
-> Activity not recommended for children under 6 y.o. Choice of hikes from Bovec. We advise you the Soca trail, a hike along the Soca river. This trail offers magnificent views of the emerald river and offers a walk of up to 25 km. According to your wishes, choose the distance that suits you and for the most courageous go back up to the source of this mystical river. There are many swimming stops along the river, which forms very pleasant pools. Overnight in a typical Slovenian farm. Standard room.
Day 12 : Kobarid
Hiking tour in the Triglav National Park. Day to discover the region, with the Julian Alps in the background, the Soca River below and the Triglav National Park all around. Arrival in Bovec and 15 min walk to admire the Boka waterfall before continuing to the Kluze fortress overlooking a 70 m ravine. Ascent of the Vrsic Pass, then on to Kranjska Gora and on to the Vintgar Gorge (1,600 m of footbridges spanning the Radovna over rapids and pools). Arrival in Bled where you will be surprised by this landscape straight out of a fairy tale. Check-in at the hotel. Overnight in a 3-star guesthouse. Standard room.
Day 13 : Bled
Free day, without a guide, to enjoy the little city of Bled and the banks of the lake according to your wishes.
-> Option: do you wish for some outdoor activity or a helicopter tour? This place is perfect for it and we would be glad to help you organise it! Overnight in a 3-star guesthouse. Standard room.
Day 14 : Bled
Even more beautiful than the lake of Bled, is it possible? Head for Lake Bohinj, to immerse yourself in a preserved natural setting. From the first glance, Lake Bohinj bewitches you with its natural and authentic side, surrounded by the Triglav Mountains and charming villages that have preserved their traditional trades, especially in agriculture. A 1.5 hour hike to the Savica waterfall and a cable car ride up to the Vogel station to admire the spectacular panorama.
-> Swimming, kayak or bike rental available. Overnight in a 3-star guesthouse. Standard room.